Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Kitchen Wizards Cookery School is open for business!

Well today was my first day of my new career. I have packed in my perfectly good teaching job to start my own cookery school. It is something that has been gestating for a good while now and I decided if I didn't make the jump now, I never would.
So today was day one of the summer workshops. I have three day workshops running just for the summer and in september I am kicking off the after school classes, which will be the bread and butter of the business.

I had 5 kids today and we covered 5 recipes that are all lunchbox friendly. The idea is that the children would do a bit of cooking at the weekend and have some yummy food for their luncboxes during the week. The salads are easy prepared the night before.


The picture is I know not brilliant, but from left to right, we made; Wizard drumsticks, Couscous salad, Pasta salad, Mini Quiches and White bread rolls.


The Quiche recipe and the White bread recipe is already on the blog, the other three are below.


Wizard Drumsticks

Marinade

150ml greek yoghurt

2 T redcurrant jelly
1 T wholegrain mustard
1 garlic clove crushed
Juice and rind of one lemon

Mix all the marinade ingredients together in the dish.

Remove the skin from 8 chicken drumsticks and coat them in the marinade. Leave in the dish to soak up all the flavour and to tenderise, preferably overnight, but a couple of hours does the trick too.

Roast in a roasting tin at 190c for 50 minutes.
Can be served hot or cold.

Couscous salad

200g couscous

250ml hot vegetable stock

First pour the stock over the couscous and allow to soak up for 3-4 minutes. Always stir couscous with a fork, it helps to keep it fluffy.

Then add;

2 red dessert apples diced
125g cheddar cheese diced
75g sultanas
8 T apple juice
1 T chopped parsley

Mix through and serve.

Pasta salad.

100g pasta shapes cooked and drained

2 T sunflower oil
1 t sundried tomato paste (jar of sacla)
1 t white wine vinegar
½ small carrot diced
1 tomato diced
50g cheddar or mozzarella cheese diced
Chopped basil to taste


Personally I prefer mozarella with this recipe. If you add the pasta hot to the rest of the ingredients, then the mozzarella melts a little and makes a sauce almost.
Incorporate all the ingredients together and serve.
 
Tomorrow is dinners; lasagna, chicken goujons, and butternut spaghetti.
 
See y'all tomorrow.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment