Saturday, April 9, 2011

Birthday cake.

Well, another year, another birthday party.
This year Robyn wanted a karaoke party and I was to do the Kitchen Wizards Cookery School pizza making thing. We also had ice cream sundaes which went down a treat. It was not to much hard work, food wise, really just the pizzas and sundaes. But the theatre came by way of the birthday cake.
I gave Robyn a choice of cakes, and she chose a Pinata cake.
What is that I hear you ask? Well, it is an ordinary layer cake, any variety you fancy. The top layer is hollowed a little to form a crater, which holds a treasure chest style pile of sweet and candy booty!
Over this, is placed a chocolate dome (here's where the fun started for me!) and that is decorated with beanies and this is the Pinata casing.


This is the chocolate cake with buttercream icing filled with sweets.



And this is the finished dome that covered the cake.

This cake did not seem too much of a hassle. To me, it was far easier looking than the other ones she was considering.
However, I did try many versions of the dome, on each one I swore it would be the last, but the version that worked was where I lined my mixing bowl with butter then cling film and put the bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes before spreading melted chocolate with a spatula over the interior of the bowl. I froze the bowl for five minutes between each application of chocolate, layering it up until it was about a centimetre thick.
The end was a bit choppy looking, but it had a short life so the rough edges were forgiven!
My friend Liezel came in and helped me with the smartie applique job, as my nerves were gone worrying the damn dome would shatter! We used writing icing to glue on smarties, m and m's and mini smarties. Then it went straight into the fridge.

The idea is the birthday girl having had the 'Happy Birthday' sung, smashes open the cake to reveal the loot inside. This is when the feeding frenzy began and the cake was literally pulled apart! I have never seen anything like it!!!

I have the video up on youtube of the cake being demolished
Worth a look!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvt7lNfCiM8

No comments:

Post a Comment