Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Veggies and Kids

Other that perhaps Potty training, I'd put money on the fact that this is an area of parenting that can level any confident parent. No matter how much of a grasp you feel you have on the whole Mommy Daddy  thing, kids have a habit of making  it very clear that when it comes to veg, they are going to make you pay!
I do remember as a child being aware of how not eating my greens used to raise the blood pressure of the adult provider. Not necessarily my folks, but I didn't get why it was such a big deal. I on the other hand as a parent have made it abundantly clear to my kids as to why it is a big deal, but that didn't work either. 
As it happens, the less of deal I make of it, the more chance I have of getting the good stuff in the little darlings' bloodstream! Not so easy. 
I have read in lots of places that it is not worth ruining dinnertime by starting a vegetable debate,  and I did that for a while, but instinct kept kicking in.

Anyhow, the kids are eating enough veg now to keep the worry at bay. 
I have to point out that Robyn has always been a good veg eater and generally quite adventurous. Daniel is a newcomer to the club. I have to credit the 'Food Dudes' programme in school for this. The school were sent daily parcels of raw fruit and veg, individually wrapped per child, and prizes for each child consuming their portion. It made Daniel try these foods, something I couldn't get him to do at home. He would make his mind up without so much as a bite. He surprised himself and would come home saying things like... " Mam, peppers are actually ok. Kind of sweet." I would try to avoid the temptation to sob and congratulate his bravery!
Broccoli, Cabbage, Spinach are still not accepted, but I put them in some dishes sometimes just to test the water. The objections have stopped and the kids will just move what they don't want to the side of their plate. That'll do me. 

This dish is one in which I add broccoli, for my delectation, but it is big enough to be removed without infecting the rest of the dish. It's easy too.
I get the kids to chop the veg, with the exception of the carrot which is too hard for an ordinary butter knife. ( I don't give them sharp knives.)

Vegetable Fried Rice.

Boil some Basmati Rice in Chicken stock (follow the packet instructions for quantities, I just guess and always get it wrong!)

Chop all the veg into little cubes, about the size of a pea (except the broccoli)
2 Carrots
a head of broccoli cut into really little florets. 
6-8 spring onions 
a red and/or a yellow pepper 
3 sticks of celery 

These are the vegetables I can get past the gauntlet easily. If it was for myself I would also add a few mushrooms and courgettes at the last minute
I try to go for colour as much as possible. They say it helps digestion when the food looks nice, and the kids get accustomed to variety.

Next, beat 4-5 eggs and have them in a bowl.
When the rice is cooked, drain it in a sieve and leave it ready.

Prep done!

In a large pan or wok, heat up a tablespoon or thereabouts of sunflower oil and throw in the eggs. Mix around with a wooden spoon until scrambled and cooked through, but not rubbery. Take them off the pan back into a bowl.

Another 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan and chuck in all the veg together. Stir fry for a few minutes until hot through. You are not going for cooked, just hot. Crunchy veg is the best part of this dish!
Add the rice and egg back into the veg and stir fry until they are coated a little in oil, you want the rice to be loose and not clumpy.
Season with light Soy sauce. About 2 tablespoons I would use, but taste it as you go and add what you want. 

Serve.
I would often put some little strips of chicken (the little fillet bit) into an oven proof dish with hoi sin sauce and bake at 200c for 10-15 mins and serve with that.

The kids can scramble the egg and add in the veg, in fact apart from cooking the rice (cos of the boiling water) they can make all of this.

Try it. You won't be disappointed, I promise!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment