Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hummus!



I am a real fan of hummus. It's easy, healthy, low-fat, convenient and cheap to make.
The only drawback is that it doesn't really keep well. That is not a big deal in my house however as it doesn't last long before it is eaten.
I have messed around with various different recipes for hummus over the past few years and I think this version is my favourite. It is totally subjective so when you do find the one that suits you, write it down!!
Robyn loves hummus, as do I and to an extent so does Declan my husband. Daniel is not convinced at all however. For the most part hummus is liked by kids, they tend not to be too afraid of it, and the beauty is that raw veg and pitta bread are by far the tastiest delivery systems. Great for lunchboxes.

I really think it would be difficult to make this recipe without a hand blender or food processor of some kind. It would be tough to get the consistency otherwise. I use a hand blender with the chopper attachment. It looks like a little food processor on the end, but it is handier to clean

Into the bowl of the chopper/processor, add
1 tin chickpeas drained,
1 1/2 tablespoons of light tahini,
4 tablespoons of good extra virgin olive oil,
small/medium clove of garlic (depends on your taste),
juice of a lemon,
teaspoon of salt and black pepper,
teaspoon of cumin,
teaspoon of hot chili powder (also to taste)

Whizz up until creamy and not too nutty in texture.
Sometimes I add a tablespoon of water, sometimes a tablespoon of sour cream, but it all depends on how you like your hummus. I would suggest you have a few swings at it until you hit on one that you are happy with.
I usually use the organic epicure chickpeas, but recently I have used the Sainsbury's brand and they are easier to blend, the others are a little nuttier.
You will get Tahini in good supermarkets, but if not, health food shops will have it. ( it is sesame seed paste)

It is nice served with chopped up veg, celery is my favourite.
It really only keeps for two days, three at a push if covered up with cling film.
I have not tried to freeze it, so I am not sure if would split. If you try it, let me know how it worked out.



No comments:

Post a Comment