Sunday, April 11, 2010

Robyn's 7th Birthday Party






Firstly, Apologies for the poor photos. I am determined to try and improve on the photography so the pictures are more descriptive.

Anyhow, Parties!
I realised earlier that this party has been our 16th! Each year, I try something new, and stick to some old reliables. But the one thing I learned early on was that kids don't eat as much as you think they will at parties. I don't serve sweets, and the kids never ask for them, chocolate maybe, but they never miss sweets.
This year, on the menu

Sandwiches, (cut into triangles of course!!)
Tuna, Ham and Egg mayonnaise.

Squeezy yoghurts

Kiwi, Banana and Watermelon chopped

Rice Krispie buns

Fairy cakes

Chocolate covered strawberries

Chocolate Birthday cake

Pombear crisps, chocolate buttons mini packets of natural jellies.

I used to make bowls of popcorn, but, most of it ended up on the floor and in between the sofa cushions and the kids didn't eat much of it.
This year, the big hit were the chocolate strawberries.
I melted down an easter egg. (We still have about 25 left!) and dipped the strawberries in using cocktail sticks. I stuck them into half an orange, so they would stand up and put them into the fridge for an hour.

The Rice Krispie buns are made up of 2 parts krispies to 1 part chocolate. (200g krispies 100g chocolate) Again, I used easter eggs. The cadburys ones are the nicest.

The fairy cakes are umbelievably easy

Into a food processor, put

125g Self raising flour
125g Soft butter
125g Caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp Vanilla essence
a little milk.

Put all the ingredients except the milk into the food processor and blitz until creamed together. Add a little milk (about 4 tablespoons) until you have a batter with a dropping consistency.
THATS IT!

I use mini muffin trays as kids usually just eat the icing or at most a couple of bites of buns, so the large ones are a phenomenal waste.
You need about a teaspoon of batter for each mini muffin case.

Bake at 180c for about 10 minutes. (keep an eye on them as times vary)

The icing is just icing sugar, lemon juice and fod colouring. Personally , I like raspberry jam and coconut, but Robyn has a deep hatred of coconut, and it was her party!

The Birthda Cake uses the Mocha Cake recipe from Rachel Allen's Bake.
It is a really adaptable recipe and stays lovely and moist.
I will post the recipe for that in the next post, with the mocha icing. I promised the gang in work I would make one, so I will use the pictures of that.

Until then....See Ya!



No comments:

Post a Comment