Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chickpea burgers

We had a Mother Hubbard day yesterday, nothing in the fridge. No standbys and I was really not in the humour for macaroni cheese!
I adapted a chick pea burger recipe that I had made before, using what was in the fridge and the cupboard.
The kids were not crazy about them, they said it was the pine nuts, but they gave them a go, and that'll do me.

I used:

1 tin of chickpeas
125g pine nuts
6 spring onions finely chopped
1 carrot grated
1 apple peeled, cored and grated
2 T tomato puree
1T wholgrain mustard
1 T peanut butter
1 T tandoori curry paste
1 egg beaten
1 cup breadcrumbs

In a dry hot pan, toast the pine nuts until starting to brown and set aside.
Mash the chickpeas with a fork and mix with the pine nuts and the rest of the ingredients. Chill for about 15 mins. Dip them in breadcrumbs before frying for about 2 mins per side in sunflower oil.

We had them with baby leaves and tomatoes. If I had any potatoes I would have made potato wedges, but alas the cupboard was bare!

No comments:

Post a Comment