Thursday, May 6, 2010

Jammie Dodgers!

So two posts in one day!
But these had to make an appearance. They are too much fun to be ignored!
I had band practice tonight, and the gang had been generous enough to offer themselves as tasters for new recipes, so I felt it important to run these by them before publishing the recipe to the world!

The dough is so easy, I felt guilty taking credit for having done any work.
You put 150g plain flour 50g icing sugar and 100g soft butter into the food processor and blitz until it forms a dough. This takes a few minutes so be patient. Stop the machine AS SOON as the dough comes together. You could toughen the mixture if you keep whizzing it. Take the dough out and with your hands mould it into a smooth disc. You want to get rid of any crumbliness at this stage. Wrap in cling film and put it into the fridge for about 20 minutes.

In the meantime, put some parchment onto a cookie sheet and preheat the oven to 190 c.
Then make the jam.
You could just use jam, but trust me, this is totally worth it.

In a saucepan, put 200g raspberry or strawberry jam (it's got to be red!)
and 2 T creme de cassis liquer, and 1 t vanilla essence.
Simmer for 8 minutes until melted and thick. Stir it every few minutes.

Allow the jam to cool completely, it should be cool by the time the cookies are baked.

Take the dough out of the fridge and roll out on a floured board. Cut into circles and in half of the cut outs, make a circle hole in the middle. I used a piping nozzle, but be inventive, I bet you have something in the kitchen with a lid that is the right size!

Bake on the lined tray for 8 minutes. Make sure the cookies are all more or less the same thickness or some will go darker quicker. Cool on a wire rack and dust the holed ones with icing sugar. Put a blob of jam into the middle only. They are very sweet, so don't go nuts with the jam, just enough to peep out of the holes.
I'd bet good money on lemon curd being nice in these too!

I challenge you to find a child that would turn one of these down. I am actually sorry I didn't do these for Robyn's party. But I liked them myself, so I don't need an excuse.
These were a recipe from Nevin Maguire, and Irish chef who is excellent, but his book is  quite.....I don't know how to explain it, a little ordinary considering the recipes are lovely. I think he is underselling himself, maybe he needs a new book designer. It needs a little edge! I got the book as a pressie, and I have not cooked anything from it. It just is not calling to me!! I am though making an effort to try a few out and give it a proper chance. i have asked the kids to pick a recipe each to cook this week, I will report back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment