Saturday, May 15, 2010

Storecupboard stand-by; Tuna fish cakes.

Tinned tuna is not one of my favourite ingredients. It is ok in a wrap or in a pasta salad, but as a dinner option it is not something I ever really turn to. 
But my mind has been changed by these tuna  burgers. They are an amalgam of two recipes I found on the internet and the availability of ingredients in my fridge! Everyone liked them including me which was the biggest surprise, so they were deemed post-worthy!
(I leave a bag of breadcrumbs in the freezer and use them from frozen, it means I always have them when needed.)
I have no pictures, but they just look like regular fish cakes, you will have to trust me!

Tuna Cakes

In a bowl put

2 tins of tuna 
1 generous cup of breadcrumbs
1/2 cup of finely chopped scallions (about 8 scallions)
1/2 cup of finely chopped red pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 egg
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2T sweet chili sauce
Salt
Chopped chives (They are only for colour, so are optional)

I think that was it. (It was a bit like Georges Marvellous Medicine, in that I threw anything that looked like it would help!

I mixed these well with a fork, to break the tuna up well and made them into patties. A half and hour in the fridge would make them a little more robust when frying, but I fried them straight away, so just treat them gently and you should be fine.
Put a small layer of sunflower oil in the pan (about 3 T should do it) and fry for a minute or two on each side, or until golden brown. They cook quickly so do this at the last minute when you have everything else done. 
I served them with mashed potato, but a nice crunchy salad and tomato chutney or salsa would have been nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment