Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Butternut squash Risotto and Chicken Casserole

Well, no photos, can't find the camera cable! I will pop them up tomorrow. 

The next two recipes are inexpensive, hearty and filling and an all round hit with the kids.

Butternut squash risotto.
Ingredients are highlighted in green

The most challenging part of this dish is cutting the squash! Everything else is very child friendly! 
Preheat the oven to 200 c. 

Peel and chop a whole medium butternut. I peel it away from my hand downwards towards the chopping board, sort of 'paring' the skin away. Any peeler I have used ends up threatening to slice the tip of my finger off while peeling this monstrous vegetable!
Chop into the size of dice, actual game dice. Any bigger, it won't cook in time.
Chop a medium onion and crush two cloves of garlic
Now you are ready!
Sweat the onion and garlic in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in an ovenproof casserole. After a few minutes, the onion should be translucent, add the s quash and 325g of Arborio or Carnaroli Risotto rice. Stir around until well coated in oil.  Add 125 ml white wine. (Try not to drink the rest of the bottle!) Let the wine bubble for a minute to allow the alcohol to burn off. Then add 900ml chicken stock (a stock cube is fine)
Stir well, bring to the boil and put in the oven for 20ish minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. 
Stir in 150g Parmesan cheese. 
Serve.

Seriously it is that easy.

The kids love it. The first time we had it I told them we were having pumpkin pie. Why I thought this was more appealing than what it actually was I don't know. But a couple of weeks later we were in the vegetable shop and Daniel brought me over to a stand with pumpkins and said "Mam......this is a pumpkin, what you cooked in that rice was a Butternut squash!" That was the last time I sugarcoated anything for him. I felt just a little silly!

I am off to bed, too tired to add the Chicken recipe...........Tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment